Yay! Read-a-Thon Time!

Almost time to start the biannual 24 hour read-a-thon! It has been a while since I participated in one, so I’m very much looking forward to today/tomorrow!

24 Hour Read-A-Thon

I will have a birthday party this evening, so I will have a few hours break in between, and I’ll probably fall asleep sometime during the event, but yay for reading all the books (although probably I will not read that many). Below you’ll find my updates so I won’t flood your RSS reader. I’ve already noticed lots of blogging friends are participating too, hopefully we can cheer each other on. AND make some new friends.

Yay, Read-a-Thon!

Starting Line:

Readathon pile

I have not actually settled on the book I’d like to start with, but I *can* show you a picture of the pile I might be selecting from today. Basically, from previous experience I know that I usually end up picking up completely different books than my initial pile of possibles. I’ll have to wait and see..

Hour four:

reading War and Peace

The fourth hour is almost over and I have managed to read a total of 121 pages. Not very impressive. On the other hand, those 121 pages were the two parts of War and Peace that were scheduled for April, so I’m quite proud of myself for finishing them. I also managed to prepare dinner and take a shower. Now I am off to eat and visit some blogs!

Pages read: 121
Hours read: 3
Hours commenting: sadly, 0
Other activities: 1

End of hour 6:

Selected next read: The Hours

I selected my next read and am now 98 pages into The Hours by Michael Cunningham. To be honest, I had read 4 of those pages before. This book is all kinds of beautiful thus far, and I’m hoping I won’t be too tired/distracted to finish it this read-a-thon.

Right now I am off to a birthday party. I think I will be back around midnight, which is the beginning of hour 11.

Pages read: 219
Hours read: 4.5
Hours commenting: 0.5
Other activities: 1

Hour 11:

I’m back! The birthday party was great and so was the cake! How have you all been doing? I am about to start reading again (we are nearing hour 12 and it is almost 1 am over here). I am a little woozy though so I wonder how long I’ll last before I need to take a nap).

End of hour 19:

Christopher and Columbus by Elizabeth von Arnim. And yes, I have a new ereader (more on that soon!)

Um, my “nap” turned into a regular 8 hour sleep. Before I slept I managed to read 60 more pages of The Hours and 7 pages of Christopher and Columbus. So yes, my read-a-thon is turning out a bit ridiculous. Oh well, 4 hours left. At the very least I’d like to finish The Hours.

Pages read: 286
Hours read: 6
Hours commenting: 1
Other activities: lots and lots

Hour 22:

The book I will try to make a dent in before the end of the readathon

I finished The Hours! Wow, that is one stunningly beautiful read. Now on to my last (and second, hehe) book: The Folk Keeper by Franny Billingsley.

Pages read: 385
Hours read: 7.5

The Finish Line:

Books I read from this read-a-thon

We come to the end of the read-a-thon. This was a strange one for me. I participated for 6 hours, then left for 4, then participated for two more, slept for 8, and came back for the last 4.

I managed to read April’s scheduled reading for the War and Peace Read Along, I read The Hours and The Folk Keeper.

I had been saving the very small amount of graphic novels I own for this occasion for months. And yet, I did not really reach for them. It might be that by having a full night’s sleep I was more content to settle for some books I had been procrastinating to read because of high expectations and/or intimidation. The only drawback to these long breaks is that I felt I missed part of the experience of what the read-a-thon is about. I would have loved to connect to more people and to have been there to cheer people on through the most difficult hours. But there is always next time, right?

Pages read: 448
Hours read: 9.5

How was your read-a-thon?

48 thoughts on “Yay! Read-a-Thon Time!

It’s Heat Lightning :) I realise the picture isn’t very clear as it’s taken with my somewhat outdated phone. Not sure if I’ll get to it today though, hopefully? But I also want to do the book justice and not read it while very sleepy.

Lisa! I am so sorry! Somehow wordpress marked you as spam and I had completely missed all the lovely comments you left! Thank you so much for your continuing cheering!

1. Chris

Have a blast Iris!!!!! I’m so so so glad that you’re participating :D I was thrilled when I saw on twitter yesterday that you were!

I didn’t realise you were participating, but I’m happy to hear you are! I will be checking in on you throughout the day :)

2. Gnoe

Dutch synchronisity! I have to go to a b-day party tonight as well. Love the button you used btw, I may switch to that one too!

I really really like this button. It has butterflies! Heh. So, you have a friend/familymember who is celebrating a King’s Day-free birthday for the last time too?

1. Gnoe

Yes indeed! I think we were expected to stay a bit longer (we’re usually one of the last couples to leave heh) but we snuck out early!

3. Amanda

I recommend Looking for Alaska and whatever Persephone book you’be got there, in case you need any encouragement to read them :) Happy reading!

Those are definitely very high up on my list. But I also really want to do them justice as they’re both highly anticipated books for me. (The Persephone is Heat Lightning btw).

1. Amanda

I can relate to that! But I pretty much breezed through Looking for Alaska, so it might be a quick read. I haven’t heard about that Persephone before, so I’m going to check it out now :)

4. dastevensish

But it is ever so much fun making that read-a-thon pool even you don’t end up choosing anything from it, isn’t it? :)

Hope you have a super wonderful and relaxing time, Iris!!! :D

EXACTLY! I have fun with that even though I know myself and my reading plans a little too well by now. Remember the OUAT pile? I don’t think I’ve looked at it again though I am reading for the challenge :P

I still had the April section for the year long readalong to finish, and otherwise I’ll be disappointing Amy :P I’m done with those sections now though so I can pick up a somewhat less demanding read perhaps? (or at least one I might be able to finish instead of only reading a short part of the whole).

5. Jenna

Your Angela Carter book is gorgeous – even just from the spine!

I’m jealous of all this readathon business. I’m stuck at work – and if I wasn’t, I have five papers due this week. Eek! There never seem to be any readathons when I’m free to take part. I’ll be living vicariously through you – and others – today.

I am often not able to participate either so I felt quite lucky that I had some time this weekend. Who knows, perhaps you will be able to join this autumn? And yes, I love the cover for the Angela Carter too.

6. Ronnica

War and Peace! That’s a crazy Readathon choice, but I’m glad it didn’t hold you back. Keep up the reading!

Hehehe, yes, it is a little crazy! But I still had to read the pages set for the year-long read along I am cohosting. This seemed the perfect excuse to finally sit down and read them :)

7. Christina

I am doing this too! Very bold of you to tackle War and Peace…I normally aim for lots of short reads so that my attention won’t flag. But I am trying to intersperse those short reads with The Count of Monte Cristo, so I guess we’re in similar boats!

I think what made it less difficult for me was that I knew I had only 120 pages to read of the book. So it felt like a sort-of short book :) I rather enjoyed reading part of a larger book this readathon.

8. Belle Wong

Great line up of books. I know I already said this on Twitter, but saying it again, I’m so impressed you’re tackling War and Peace today! Happy reading!

Cake is very important to a party. It did mean I hardly ate any of my own snacks I had bought. But that’s alright :)

9. Gnoe

Hehe I also got lots and lots of other activities going on. But hey, I’m still reading more than I have done in a long time! Good luck in the home stretch!

That’s what I keep telling myself. Plus, other activities are important too (such as sleep :P). I hope you enjoy the remainder of your weekend.

10. Shan

There is always next time was my motto for this readathon! You did a great job, and it’s great to get to those books you were procrastinating on.

11. Belle Wong

Now that the event’s over, I wanted to pop back here and give you a huge congratulations on a great readathon! Well done, Iris!

12. Alice

Yay for finishing The Hours, a very beautiful book.

I’m not sure how you managed to cram all that reading in and have a fun evening, I’d have fallen asleep for sure.

13. buriedinprint

Funny that you got to W&P but not to your graphic novels…but I can see where reading just a segment of that would have felt strangely satisfying, rather than simply plunking the whole book on your stack. It sounds like you had fun: I hope to be participating next autumn, and maybe you’ll be lucky to have that day free as well!