Reading Everything at Once

Sometimes you simply have too many books on the go at once.. The past weeks would be an example of that for me.

Of course, I am still reading War and Peace. I finally managed to finish the pages I should have read in February, but what do you know.. we are almost at the end of March already!

Possession - AS ByattI am also participating in Kim and Lu‘s readalong of A.S. Byatt’s PossessionAs expected, I am also behind on this one. I seem to catch up about a week late each time. However, I am enjoying the book. It was slow at first, but now it is starting to feel damn near perfect. Looks like it might combine everything I usually love in books.

While walking to work each morning and walking home in the evening’s I am listening to Cleopatra’s Moon by Vicky Alvear Shecter, narrated by Kirsten Potter. I had very low expectations going into this book, but I’m pleasantly surprised by how many themes it deals with. I have not quite decided how much I am enjoying it exactly, but as I’m nearing the end I definitely do not think I wasted my time on this audio book.

Lately, I have mostly been too tired to do any reading in bed (falling aleep without even opening a book is a new experience for me), but a few nights ago I happened to lie awake for a while and so I started Ten White Geese by Gerbrand Bakker. First book for Dutch Lit Month?

Bitter Greens - Kate ForsythAnd then yesterday, I also started Bitter Greens by Kate Forsyth. I have not exactly made much progress (I am 10 pages in at present), but that’s not for lack of wanting to read this book. I’m just struggling with lots of fatigue lately. I definitely have high expectations for this book and I hope it will not disappoint me.

Come to think of it, five books is not that many. Perhaps it just feels like a lot because I have not had much time to really sit down with a book for a few hours lately.

So what are you reading these days? Are you reading lots of books at once, like me, or are you making your way through one book at a time?

18 thoughts on “Reading Everything at Once

1. Teresa Majury (@lovelytreez)

The most I can read at once is two books as long as they are very different e.g. one fiction, one non-fiction, one adult, one YA/childrens. However when I look at the review pile and TBR mountain I wish I could read more quickly! Bitter Greens is top of my wishlist, it sounds fabulous.

2. Charlie

Bitter Greens is excellent! As long as you can remember what’s happening in each of them, five books is fine. I’ve officially got two on the go, though one is Vanity Fair which I’m taking ages over so it doesn’t really count.

3. nikki / clickclackgorilla

Haha, I do this too. I am trying to finish up a similar number of books myself right now. Gut Symmetries by Jeanette Winterson, Export A by Lisa Kränzler, Blindness by Jose Saramago, and two other books that I haven’t peered into for so long that I no longer can remember their exact titles. :)

4. Debi

*sigh* I always have too many books going. I’m sort of used to it, but at the same time I find it frustrating. Because it seems to take so long to finish any one book. Largely it’s because of my kids–between what I’m reading with them and what I’m reading for homeschooling–but I’m also known to have more than a couple going just for myself too. ;)

I so hope you’re feeling better soon…dealing with fatigue is NO fun. And I hope you get some time soon to just sit down for a few hours and really lose yourself in your reads.

5. jessicabookworm

I know what you mean about fatigue! I hope you start to have more time and energy in the evenings soon. I am reading several books at the moment but they are a mixture of fiction, non-fiction, short-story collection, and poetry which I think works well for me. Always something on hand to match my mood :-)

6. Amy @ My Friend Amy

I have a lot of books going at the moment as well, because of the INSPYs. I’m actually heading out of town so I need to finish W&P this weekend and write my post in advance!

7. A.M.B.

I’m in the middle of way too many books right now. It’s unusual for me to read more than one book at a time, but I’m in a bit of a reading slump and I’m having a hard time finding the right fit for my mood.

8. heavenali

I can’t read lots of books at the same time, it’s very rare that I read more than one at a time. If I do, it’ll be one novel and a non-fiction book. I prefer to concentrate on one book at a time though.

9. buriedinprint

I like having a few books on the go, so that there is always one which matches my current reading-mood-of-the-moment. But, lately, I am finding it hard to focus, so my stack is small….only four books, one re-read with a friend, one re-read without a friend, a contemporary novel, and my Alice Munro stories. Earlier today, I started into a non-fiction work (The Forest Unseen) and it’s quite interesting too. But they are all distinct, so I don’t have a worry about getting them muddled, even though, like you, I am NOT reading more than I reading these days, so it does start to feel as though you are “reading” a whole lot of books and, simultaneously, not reading much at all! Heheh

10. Diane Challenor (@CynthiaBlue44)

I’ve just checked my currently reading list on GoodReads and I’ve got several books on the go, so don’t worry, you’re not alone in having a variety to reach out for. I’ve just loaded down Petite Mort by Beatrice Hitchman, I’m following the Maisie Dobbs series and I’m up to book 4. Others are: The Greenhouse by Audur Ava Olafsdottir, Don Quixote, Playing With Water by Kate Llewellyn and last but not least: Phillip Parker King 1791-1856.

11. Bookgazing

I was reading two at a time, but I’ve finished one today so back to just the one short story collection.

12. Elena

I’m reading – and really, I love it- Anna Karenina but it is so dense and so large that I’m thinking of squeezing a crime novel in between so that I read more. Sometimes I just get tired of some of the characters – if you read it, don’t get me started on Levin and his country life – so I may need something more agile, probably a Patricia Cornwell novel. Let’s see how it goes :)

And 5 is not that much. Remember college ;)

13. Christina

I am usually a “one book at a time” kind of girl. Right now I’m reading two books — The Crystal Cave by Mary Stewart and The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas — and it’s really hard! The Count is too big to carry around in my purse, so it’s just sitting on my nightstand, which means I hardly ever pick it up (which is a shame, because so far it’s really good!).

I’m reading way way way too many books right now. I have like twenty of them on the go at the moment, and I’m so excited about them all that I can’t settle down to any one of them. I’ve been reading a bunch of amazing books recently, which is making me crazy excited about reading as a whole. BOOKS.

15. winstonsdad

\I jump between the two ,I mainly single book read but from time to time mainly when I finding a book I read another and have had four on the go once ,all the best stu

16. sakura

I am SO behind on my War & Peace reading but am hoping to catch up when I have a chunk of time! There are so many books I want to read right now but I’m trying to be pragmatic and strong-willed and finish what I’m reading first.:)