What Happens When You Take Iris to London…

…You arrive home with a teddy bear and books, of course!

Apologies for the quality of the picture.

Apologies for the quality of the picture.

• I had the most wonderful time in London. We did a lot of the tourist-y stuff, but we also took our time just wandering around and looking at all the beautiful Christmas lights. Perhaps I’d find London a little too big and busy for everyday life, but I definitely love it as a visitor.
  • I did not do that much literary stuff, as this was the first time Bas and I visited London together (and Bas’ first time there). I did visit a few bookshops on Charing Cross Road, any bookshops we came across while wandering, and of course Persephone Books, so I cannot complain
  • I found The Diary of a Provincial Lady in a secondhand bookshop. I own the hardcover cloth bound VMC edition of the first book, but I couldn’t resist taking this edition that also has The Porvincial Lady Goes FurtherThe Provincial Lady in America, and The Provincial Lady in Wartime in it.
  • The same goes for Thank Heaven Fasting. This book might be around everywhere in the UK in secondhand bookshops for all I know, but I had been looking for it for a while online. Unsurprising, I had no luck in Dutch bookshops, so I was very happy that I finally came across it at a very friendly price.
  • As for the Persephones: I knew I had to get Consequences as it might just be my favourite Persephone. I also really wanted another Dorothy Whipple as I’ve enjoyed her fiction before (especially Greenbanks, which might be my next favourite). So I bought They Were Sisters, which I was told is pretty depressing, but so is Consequences so I figured I’d give it a try. The third book is The Home-maker by Dorothy Canfield Fisher, which I was advised to pick up after I asked for advice. It sounds really interesting.
  • The most embarrassing moment might have been when Bas mentioned to the person I asked for advice in the Persphone shop that we had brought old clothes with us so as to have space for books on our return journey. I am pretty shy and embarrassed talking to someone from a publisher I like so much anyway, so I basically became a severely blushing and stumbling Iris.
  • Now that I’m speaking of embarrassment, I might have also literally jumped for joy when I found out there is a Moomin shop in Covent Garden. We were standing next to the huge advent calendar when I saw it and went “Bas *jump* Bas! *jump*, they have a Moomin shop! A MOOMIN SHOP!” I browsed the shop two times over, but I couldn’t settle on anything that would fit and/or not break on our return journey, and so I only brought two buttons. Next time…
  • Next time, I also hope to meet up with some bloggers. I am very sorry that I did not get to do so this time, but as this was the first proper vacation Bas and I had together since finishing our Bachelor, I felt I wouldn’t be justified in spending part of that time meeting with friends and leaving him alone. I am sure he would not have had a problem with it, it was just a matter of making the best of our limited time together and then settling on a next time for meetups.

21 thoughts on “What Happens When You Take Iris to London…

1. Claire (The Captive Reader)

Sounds like a wonderful visit, Iris! Like you, I love visiting London but would find it too big and busy to live in full-time. I love book shopping there so can completely understand your taking old clothes approach – very clever! You picked up some great books, but I am especially excited to see that you grabbed The Home-Maker; it is absolutely brilliant.

2. parrish lantern

Glad you enjoyed London & agree with you concerning London, I live about 70 miles away & rare visit it & definitely wouldn’t want to live there.

3. FleurFisher

That sounds like a wonderful trip. I’m delighted you were advised to take home The Home-Maker. It’s one of the best books I’ve read this year and I’m quite sure you’ll love it too.

4. sandynawrot

I had to Google Moomin shop because I had no idea what it was! I still don’t know what it is, but it is adorable. And I can just imagine you jumping up and down and being excited, which is cute. I’m so glad you enjoyed London. I love London. I need to get back there.

5. Simon T

Hurrah for your Delafield finds! You’ll love them all, I promise. The second Provincial Lady book is my favourite of the series.
    Like you, I couldn’t live in London – I like having it an hour or so away, but that’s as near as I’d like it.
    Hopefully I’ll be one of the bloggers who gets to meet you next time you come to England!

6. Amy @ My Friend Amy

aw yay, I’m so glad you had a good time, I missed you!

And I’m jealous, I’d really love to go to London and it sounds like your holiday was fantastic!

Aw, it sounds like a wonderful trip. The last time I was in London (God, that was in 2009. I miss London terribly), I bought a bear very similar to that bear. Or actually, I was so forlorn in the airport on the way home that my mother took pity on me and bought me a bear from the Harrod’s in the airport. I still sleep with him on my bed.

8. Susan

HI Iris – I just found you through Ana at Things Mean Alot. I’ve joined your Long Awaited Reads challenge for January. So I thought I’d come say hi, and now I’ve see you’ve gone to London, one of my favourite cities. Oh lucky! Plus new Persephones!!! and a Teddy bear! I just read Dorothy Whipples’ The Priory and really enjoyed it. I’ll be curious what you think of the ones by her that you picked up. I’m glad you enjoyed London too :-)

9. Charlie

I went to Covent Garden in November but didn’t see the Moomin shop, how awesome! The bookshops on Charing Cross Road are brilliant, so many floors and the number of categories they have due to that, one could spend the entire day there! Glad you had a good time!

10. Pingback: Thank Heaven Fasting by E.M. Delafield | Iris on Books