Thursday Tea: “The Moonstone” & “Velveteen”

The Books: I am currently reading Wilkie Collins’ The Moonstone, which is my first novel by Collins. I’ve always been hesitant to start reading one of his novels. Somehow the length of them, the overwhelming love for them in the book blogging world.. it just brings the reading pressure with it. But I have to admit I am really enjoying this one! I’m only 50 pages in, but I hadn’t expected it to be so entertaining and even funny in places.

I’m also reading Velveteen by Daniel Marks. I have been reading this one for quite a while now, make that on and off for 2 weeks. I don’t know.. When this title appeared on Netgalley quite a few bloggers told me on twitter that I should see if I would be accepted, as this one of the most promising titles coming out in the fall. The premise did sound promising: Velveteen Monroe, a 16-year-old girl, was kidnapped and murdered by a man named Bonesaw. She ends up in purgatory, where she is willing to bend the rules to be able to give Bonesaw the faith he deserves..

But thus far, the story has been a bit disappointing. Velveteen is interesting at times. She’s definitely a strong-willed female character, which is a plus. But on page 146 we haven’t seen a whole lot of Bonesaw yet. And there have been some hints of her falling in love with a boy on first sight (of the sort where she’s not sure how or why, but she just feels all these feelings). Plus, I’m not sure I’m the right audience for all the strong language and characters who call each other “sluts” and talk about sex all the time. Perhaps this will improve later on in the story. The way Purgatory is painted thus far is interesting, and I’m hoping for a little more explanation on how this life after death thing works in Velveteen.

The Tea: Chai tea, all the way. Isn’t stormy and rainy weather the perfect weather for this kind of tea? Well, except for freezing cold and snow, which is also good weather for chai tea. Last year, Emily (a blogger I miss dearly) sent me a selection of chai tea’s from her local store, and I’m slowly making my way through them.

Do they go together? Well, yes. Because Chai tea for me is the perfect autumn/winter tea, and both The Moonstone and Velveteen have the autumny RIP feel.

Thursday Tea is a weekly meme organised by Anastasia of Birdbrain(ed) Book Blog.

10 thoughts on “Thursday Tea: “The Moonstone” & “Velveteen”

1. Ana @ things mean a lot

Oh, yay! So glad you’re enjoying it – I love him to bits. And yes, he is VERY funny :D I’m actually reading Armdale at the moment, and while I don’t think it’ll be my favourite of his it’s a lot of fun.

2. Joanna @ CreateYourWorld

Wilkie Collins scares me, I think because he’s classified as a classic. I was pleasantly surprised by Jane Austen though so maybe there’s more classic lit out there for me! Your second book sounds interesting but I don’t like language like that either.

3. zibilee

I had been interested in Velveteen, but your reactions tell me that I might not be the right audience for it either. And the Moonstone is a book that I love! I’m glad that your tea matches the weather and the books that you chose for today!

4. Alex

Be aware that Collins changes his narrator from time to time. It can be quite a jolt when you have to get used to a new narrative voice. Don’t let it put you off you’ll soon feel comfortable with it.

5. Amy

I downloaded The Moonstone recently. I tried The Lady in White last year but never got through it. I’m still willing to try The Moonstone though.

Chai tea is one of my favorites. Now that fall has finally arrived, it’s all I want to drink. :)

6. Helen

I’m glad you’re enjoying The Moonstone! Gabriel Betteredge is a great narrator, isn’t he? Wilkie Collins is one of my favourite Victorian authors – I’ve read quite a lot of his books and found them all to be very entertaining and funny!

7. Kristen M.

The Moonstone and chai are a great pairing! I want to reread that one soon but it won’t ever be the same as the first read when you don’t know what’s going to happen.

I’m glad you’re enjoying The Moonstone! I’m a big fan myself — like you, I started reading it as a duty, and then it turned out to be surprisingly funny and awesome.