While I finish reading The Taste of Sorrow by Jude Morgan, here is my end of the year recap.
Even if I still have 100 pages to read in The Taste of Sorrow, I already know that it is one of my favourite reads this year. As for the list of my favourites, I haven’t set myself a specific number of books, I just picked out which books stood out the most to me. Maybe I haven’t been specific enough? I just couldn’t make the list any smaller. Oh, and they aren’t limited to books released in 2010, I couldn’t do that, most of the 122 books I read this year are older. Also, they are in no particular order, though mostly in the order in which I read them.
Favourite books of 2010:
- The History of Love – Nicole Krauss (pre-blogging)
- Night Train to Lisbon – Pascal Mercier
- Cutting for Stone – Abraham Verghese
- The Awakening – Kate Chopin
- The Laws of Evening – Mary Yukari Waters
- Fingersmith – Sarah Waters
- Portrait of the Mother as a Young Woman – Friedrich Christian Delius (I know many would have chosen Beside the Sea for their best book this year, and I would have put in all 3 Peirene titles, actually, but I wanted to choose just one. And personally, I think I prefer this one best. Even if I possibly wrote the worst post on this book).
- Howl’s Moving Castle – Diana Wynne Jones
- Mary Barton – Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
- Daniel Deronda – George Eliot
- Evelina: Or, the History of a Young Lady’s Entrance Into the World – Frances Burney
- Enthusiasm – Polly Shulman
- A Wrinkle in Time – Madeleine L’Engle
- The Taste Of Sorrow – Jude Morgan
- The Brothers Lionheart – Astrid Lindgren
- North and South – Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell
- Jane Eyre – Charlotte Brontë (here, here, here, here and here: I obviously still need to write a wrap-up post).
Worst-Liked Books Read in 2010:
- Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters – Jane Austen/Ben H. Winters
- The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker – Leanna Renee Hieber
- Victoria and the Rogue – Meg Cabot
I consider myself incredibly lucky, having read this many outstanding books this year. I am even happier that I discovered blogging this year and made so many blogging friends. I do hope I will do better at blogging next year than I have done the last couple of months. To think I still need to post on so many of my favourite books of this year..
I will post on my plans for the upcoming year tomorrow and the day after that. In the mean time, I wish you all a very happy 2011!