Read-a-Thon

24 Hour Read-A-ThonAnd so it begins.. finally! I have been looking forward to this read-a-thon for a long while now.

I will update this post throughout the read-a-thon so as not to overburden everyone’s feed readers.

At the start: I have no special goals, except that I’d like to participate for the full 24 hours. I took part in my first read-a-thon last April and I enjoyed it immensely, but could only participate for an hour or 9 due to other obligations.

To be quite honest, I do not have a reading list either. I have my e-reader and a few paperbacks and I plan to just read what I like at that moment. I could give you a list of tentative titles, but really, it would be too long.

I intent to take short breaks: take a shower, prepare a quick dinner, etcetera. I will also be cheering for a couple of hours. I have some assigned blogs I will visit, and I hope to visit some blogs of friends as well.

Also, I decided to copy Anastasia and take pictures throughout the read-a-thon, which can be found here.

And last but not least, 3 facts about me: I can be quite as obsessive about music as I am about books, my first hour of the read-a-thon is usually spent in being too excited to actually read & I love to drink tea while reading.

2.5 hours in: I just finished reading Daniel Deronda. Which means I’m at 110 pages. Not bad, not great either. I will visit blogs for the remainder of the hour/longer than that. I didn’t sign up for cheering for nothing, right?

5 hours in: I haven’t done much of anything. I took some pictures, I visited my cheerleading blogs, I made dinner. Oh, and I read 50 pages of Soulless by Gail Carriger. I also took a picture of the books I’m reading (for this minichallenge) but I am cheating a little, since I only have my ereader with me at the moment:

Please ignore my dorky stare, I'm not used to webcams

8,5 hours in: I had a shower, I finally got some proper reading done (150 of 250 pages of Soulless) and I am now on a coffee/cheering break.

12 hours in: I finished reading Soulless. Which was an um.. interesting experience. That makes 367 pages in total. Such a small number. *sigh* I am having a bit of a breakdown here. It is 2 am and really, I can’t fathom how I will last until 2 pm. But I want to very badly, maybe that is enough?

14 hours in: I decided to read a fun and easy read and so am 100 pages in book 7 of The Princess Diaries Series: Party Princess. Mia is whiny, as ever, but I find I can easily ignore that now that I’m yawning every 5 minutes.

18 hours in: I will be honest. I was reading the Princess Diaries. Shifting around in my chair and casting longing glances at my bed (you must realise, I have one room only with everything in it). In the end, I went to read in bed. That was at 6 am, it is now 8.15 am. I finished reading the book and then I turned out the lights, set my alarm at 8am and here I am. I couldn’t get to sleep at first, so I actually slept for only an hour. I wish I could say I felt refreshed? I feel incredibly tired. Maybe coffee will help.

20 hours in: I went to the grocery store for a cinnamon bun (I ran out of food, guess that happens when you don’t plan properly). I read 30 pages of Little Women. I know, pathetic amount of pages read with just 3,5 hours to go.

24 hours in: So here goes. One final update before I curl up in bed to get some sleep. Is it bad that during these last 2 hours I have mostly read and then checked the time every 15 minutes? I guess that was bound to happen, sometime. I rather enjoyed my first “real” (as in: I spend most of my day with it) read-a-thon. I hope I did not embarrass myself too badly with those pictures..

Oh, and I don’t see any questions up, so I made up my own.

Books read: 2 books: Soulless by Gail Carriger and Party Princess by Meg Cabot. I also finished the last 110 pages of Daniel Deronda, and read 130 pages of Little Women. I tried to read and discarded some other books in between.

Reading time: 16 hours, 5 minutes.

Pages read: 790 (not great, I know, I’ve seen people read over 2000 pages, but I’m satisfied nonetheless, it was never about the amount of pages for me).

Cheering/Blogging/Twitter/: 5? hours

Sleeping/Eating: I had a 60 minute nap, and also showered, prepared dinner, did the laundry, etcetera.

Anything you’d improve? Organisation wise, nothing. Quicker, more interactive challenges, maybe? As for me: buy food in advance, make sure to have an audiobook and/or graphic novel on hand.

So, next time? Really, at this moment I feel like saying never again, but I have a feeling that will all change in a few months. I don’t think I’ll try for 24 hours again though, 23 hours and being awake for 6 hours before that, was hard enough.

Faking sleep and/or hugging my ereader. I don't know. I'm tired.

And now, for some sleep.

63 thoughts on “Read-a-Thon

1. softdrink

(Non)traditional Buddhist readathon blessing:

Just as the books fill the shelves,
    Pile together on the floor and stack up on the table
    So may the joy of the readathon
    Flow forth to brighten your day and lift your spirit.
    Books already read, books in progress and books yet to be read.

By the power of every word on the page
    May your book be delightful,
    As scary as Lovecraft’s Cthulhu
    Or as sweet as a box of See’s candy.

Let the power of the images evoked by words
    Keep you stay awake long through the night
    May no obstacle impede
    Your day filled with books.

For all of those who are reading today
    Who follow in the path of Dewey
    May your day be filled with the four blessings
    Of fabulous books, tasty snacks, comfy chairs and joy.

2. amymckie

Happy reading!! I don’t have a book list either – I’m just working off of my tbr pile! 2 short novellas down so far. I hope you are enjoying yourself :)

3. Christy

I also finished a book this morning that I had started previously to the read-a-thon. I didn’t plan to do it that way, but it worked out quite well. Have fun reading!

4. Frances

Good luck, Iris! Just read your update and thought maybe you should break for a book that is a little more fun? :) I’ll keep checking in. Hugs.

5. Erin

A limerick for inspiration:

I hope that your day’s going well,
    That the books you are reading are swell.
    A day for just reading
    (and mild competing)
    Will do us all good, I can tell!

6. tanabata

I love the pictures! I’m too camera shy but it’s a fun idea. I love the tea and books combination too. In fact, I’m about to have another cup of tea but I think I might need to go to bed soon for a few hours. I hope you have a great day of reading, and good luck on staying up right to the end.
    Happy read-a-thon!

7. gnoegnoe

Hi Iris, just popping in to cheer you on… and what a lovely surprise to see PICTUREZ of you! :) You’re *blond* ;)

I just finished my first book: Het volgende verhaal, by Cees Nooteboom.

Have fun reading!

8. Trish

Let’s go
    Let’s go, chip in, it’s time to cheer,
    It’s simple, yell what you hear,
    Go Reader Go,
    Go Reader Go,
    Fire up and scream,
    Read
    Read Read!

PS–I love your “dorky” stare. Not dorky at all…rather cute.

9. Erin

I’ve traveled the world twice over,
    Met the famous; saints and sinners,
    Poets and artists, kings and queens,
    Old stars and hopeful beginners,
    I’ve been where no-one’s been before,
    Learned secrets from writers and cooks
    All with one library ticket
    To the wonderful world of books.
    ~ Anonymous ~

I hope you’re enjoying your reading, wherever it’s taking you!!

10. amymckie

I think wanting badly will do it! Or just do a quick nap like Amanda suggests? I don’t know what I’ll do when it gets that late here! Congrats on getting so much read though – that is seriously awesome!

11. Cass

A thought to mull over: “The best of a book is not the thought which it contains, but the thought which it suggests; just as the charm of music dwells not in the tones but in the echoes of our hearts.” — John Greenleaf Whittier

Enjoy your reading!

12. Mister BIP (Team Hyperbole)

You can TOTALLY do it! And you’re doing great so far….:)

I always find a nice cup of coco works for me. Hot and full of chocolate and sugar (maple if you have it…sheesh us Canadians!). That and going for a walk.

Give that a try: getting the blood pumping is always a good start!

13. Pingback: 24 Hour Read-a-thon Status Update Hour 14 « Graasland

14. Carina

Ooooo, purple! PURPLE!!! :-D

Sorry I haven’t stopped by until now, I was trying to focus on my “assigned” blogs as a cheerleader for the first half of the read-a-thon, and now I can start spreading out my commenting time a bit more!

*waves pom-poms around*

15. Allie

I’m checking back in before I go to bed (its 3 am here). You’ve made some great progress! Good luck if you keep reading! I hope to be back before the end, but I think I may end up sleeping through my alarm.

16. Ms. Marsha

Let’s dance
    Let’s shout
    C’mon readers, shake it out!

Hang in there
    Without a care
    Keep on reading as long as you dare

Keep it up, you’re doing great! Marsha

17. leeswammes

A cinnamon bun should wake you up! Just keep enjoying yourself, don’t worry about the page count. I’m going much slower than I would have expected. The Princess Bride (2nd installment) was fun, though! Just the right thing for a read-a-thon.

Keep going, just a few more hours!

18. Pingback: Tweets that mention Read-a-Thon | Iris on Books -- Topsy.com

19. Trish

I know you’re tired
    And losin’ the fire
    You’d rather be sleeping
    But keep on reading!!

You’re doing fabulous Iris! Only less than 2.5 hours left. :D

20. tanabata

Congratulations! You did awesome! It IS really hard to start after already being up for a few hours. We’re going to have to see what we can do about an Asian/South Pacific/European time zone-friendly small-scale readathon. :)
    Enjoy your well-deserved sleep!

21. Amy

Great job, Iris! I love your almost hourly updates all in one post, I think it’s a great idea.
    Congratulations on finishing 2 books, that’s Great!

I hope you enjoyed your first readathon. I passed out during hour 15, just too tired this time. Last year I spent more time blogging & visiting participants, this year I read a lot. I need to fin a balance between the 2!

I hope you have a relaxing Sunday!
    ~ Amy

22. gnoegnoe

Well done Iris! It was fun readathonning with you! I felt less lonely knowing there were other Dutch participants :) Previous times (this was my 3rd readathon) I really felt soooo alone at night!

Funny that you felt like saying “never again!”; I rather felt sad that it was all over! Amazing amount of pages btw, I only turned (gotta look it up…) 250 of them. Still, I feel accomplished!

You should feel accomplished! And I was very happy that you were around as well, it helped a lot, I have to admit!

I did not want it to and, but yet.. I don’t know if I will try for 24 hours again next time. I feel a lot better now that I have slept some hours though and I feel less strongly about that “never again” already ;)

23. Vasilly

Iris, you did so well! I agree next time don’t stay up for so long. Maybe just do the read-a-thon for twelve hours or so? :-) I loved the pictures!

24. Bina

Congarts, Iris! I think you read lots of pages and a really good mix of books :) I like your pictures and I don’t think you have a dorky stare at all (though I’m now trying out dorky stares in the mirror, I’m waiting for my tea is my excuse).

I want to try a read-a-hon sometime but it always happens when I have plans. Plus I think I would be the worst participants, I read slowly and get really cranky without sleep :D

25. Jillian

Well done, Iris! I read your post from bottom to top, so I could see the progression backwards and end on a smile. :-)